Saturday, June 15, 2019

A Hunt for the Right Reference 2

I believe I have located the right reference. While I was reading another article, I have found the reference which looks almost alike, but not identical.

"Mahan G, Dabestani A, Gardin J, Allfie A, Burn C, Henry W (1983) Estimation of pulmonary artery pressure by pulsed Doppler echocardiography [abstr].Circulation [Suppl 3]68:367"

Look at the words "[abstr]" and "Suppl 3". So it is NOT an article, but an abstract, my friends. We should be able to find it in the supplemental edition of Circulation in 1983 but for sure I could not find it in Circulation 1983;68:367, since it does not exist.

Finally, I guess I have located the right reference, but I use the term "guess" since I have not confirmed this abstract in print. This supplement is unfortunately too old to locate in my university's library in Print, but I would pursue it anyway.

Now I feel better as I have found the "right" reference for the equation: mean PA = 79 - (0.45 x AT), but also am amazed to find this famous equation is based on an abstract, not even on an article which has been taught for many years in the guidelines, review course, and textbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment